I compared the Willowdale Elementary, The Downs CE Primary School, and Kingwood High School websites. I found that all were easy to navigate but the The Down website definitely seemed more child friendly. The whole site was more colorful. The home page had a kid-like sketch of a little boy and girl in uniform that told you what every link led to. It seemed to cater to parents who want to be more involved in helping their kids academically. It had helpful articles for parents to read about how to help kids with reading or math. It also showed off the children's projects ranging from crafts to the radio station. The site was really interactive, allowing for comments and interaction whenever it could. At the same time, it did supply important information and dates. The site also had many ways for kids to use the site to their advantage. The Children's Zone was completely dedicated to the kids with links for games and appropriate search engines. Overall, I though the school website was very helpful for homework help, making parents feel more involved, and basic information.
The Willowdale Elementary site had a completely differently feel. It was more professional and formal in both appearance and organization. It is definitely more geared towards parents. A lot of the site was dedicated to showing off the kids with pictures and blogs. Although under each grade there were helpful links for kids that included games and homework help sites. The information was easy to navigate through to find actual dates and names/numbers of contact.
These site are very different from my high school's site, Kingwood High School (http://www.humbleisd.net/education/school/school.php?sectionid=17). Since it is a high school site, it is a little more sophisticated and there is a lot more information. I never really had a probably navigating through the site. I used to use it often to check my grades, visit a teacher's website, use the database links, or find information on a certain club. All the teachers and clubs/organizations have their own web page that is easily linked to the Kingwood Website. It makes it easier to print out notes, find a syllabus, or find out a date. My parents also used the site to find different schedules for academics as well as athletics. It is really geared towards getting out information to both students and parents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You were fortunate to have such a useful HS website!
I agree that your high school website seems very advanced, and it is great that you had access to so many things online. I also understand what you mean about the different layouts of the websites; being more child friendly or more professional. I think that both sites are appropriate for being aimed for Elementary or Secondary schools.
Post a Comment